Re: ORDER BY and Unicode

От M. Bastin
Тема Re: ORDER BY and Unicode
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
>  > And how can I do an initdb so that sorting on Unicode will work for
>>  French, Greek, Japanase, etc. users of a single database?
>
>AFAIK, you can't really at this time.  With an appropriately crafted
>locale, you could probably get reasonably close, but I've never actually
>tried to work with creating one so I don't know what's involved. And, if
>two languages had different rules for two characters you'd not be
>supporting both.

Thanks Stephan!  I've found my list of locales. It's a pity only one
language can be used at a time but as you say there are conflicting
rules anyway.

The docs say there is a speed penalty on using locales.  Does anyone
have any idea on how severe this is?  I'm wondering wether I should
use the translate() function after all because of this.  It would
solve multilingual issues to a certain level and there wouldn't be a
speed penalty since the indexes would be build on the translate()
function too.

Marc